Review: Zombie Vikings (PS4)
Loki just snatched Odin’s last magic eye right out of his eye-socket and hastly gangled off with it. Thor and the gods are too busy partying, so blind as a bat, Odin makes a desperate move. He raises four of the most fearsome Zombie Vikings out of Norse soil –Gunborg, Seagurd, Hedgy and Caw-kaa! A putrid posse sent on a mission through the most epicness of worlds to retrieve The Eye and make peace with their rotten pasts.
- Wonderful hand drawn graphics.
- Really good soundtrack.
- 1-4 player local/online/mixed co op/VS.
- Story mode and VS mode.
- Opening tutorial.
- Collect coins from crates,chests and killing certain enemies.
- Simple controls.
- Awesome animations for each character.
- Top notch voice acting for every character.
- Every mode has a search online for randoms option.
- 3D side scrolling brawler.
- Four base characters to choose from, Each with unique attacks and abilities.
- Buy and equip new weapons and runes. Both can add buffs to your character like regen health,more health,poison enemies and so many more.
- Big open boss fights.
- End of each level finished in co-op finishes with a podium that rises depending on your performance. Winner is the highest podium.
- Full Platinum trophy.
- Optional side quests in each level. Finishing one will reward you with a new weapon unlock for the shop.
- Co-op in side quests end where you must all fight for the reward.
- Every level has additional routes/areas and secret hide aways.
- Auto saves frequently.
- Can revive each other, Player who dies will loses body parts dependent on co op player count, To revive just put all the pieces back together.
- Arena is 5 arenas that you fight on with a sixth arena being a football arena where the winner is the first to score 5 goals.
- A lot of nods to classic games and films of yester year like Jaws, Earthworm Jim to name but a few.
- Story is every bit as crazy as it is funny.
- Hefty 4.5GB download.
- Screen tearing.
- Slight slowdown in built up areas.
- Few isolated issues of the game black screening.
- Co-Op partner does not earn trophies.
- Can be hard to see your character when the screen is busy.
- End of level loading screens go all flashing and sound distorts.
- Day one DLC.
- Tutorial whilst present is kind of delayed until half way through the level which seems a bit weird.
So Zoink bring us a all action 3D brawler! First off I love the fact they stuck with their now staple art style, The game looks simply wonderful. I really enjoyed and will continue to enjoy the game as it has a strong Castle Crashers vibe to it what with the weapon choices and upgrade runes. The decision to cut trophy support for player two local is mind boggling and hopefully its just an oversight. I couldn’t test online as I had connection issues. But strip it all away and you have a solid fun game. It is best played with mates and the story is not a throw away addition but instead a real treat to watch unfold. In short its a brilliant co op blast!