Rogue Aces Deluxe Review (Steam)
Rogue Aces Deluxe – the definitive 2D aerial combat roguelike. Explosive single player balletic chaos with sophisticated flight controls. With 1-4 player Dogfight Deathmatch modes and unlockable bonus games. Fly with panache and maintain your mustache!
- Nice bright cartoon graphics.
- 392MB Download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Graphics-fullscreen preferred monitor, blood, resolution, and console text.
- Opening the tutorial section with optional advanced training. Can be replayed in the menu and has a separate entry for each type of in-game action.
- Controller support.
- Can be played with just the keyboard or just a mouse and of course just a controller.
- Edit button layout option.
- A roguelike with you having 3 lives then it’s game over.
- Training ground- Practice area.
- Two pilots- One Male and One female.
- Shoot em up gameplay.
- Upgrades-random drops after a mission usually.
- Campaign- Missions randomize and levels randomize.
- Day/night cycle.
- Earn EXP and level up to unlock a random upgrade chance when starting a new game.
- Clear UI showing fuel, How much fuel needed to get home, Ammo, and score.
- Map and icons on the screen.
- After each mission you Dock back at the ship.
- Multiplayer-2-4 local support. Settings- game mode, add bots, and set the timer.
- Damage- You take damage and go on fire until you eventually crash, Land at your base to repair.
- Has a Luftraser vibe to it all.
- A lot to blow up from enemies to buildings and ammo dumps and boats.
- Landing is done automatically and refuel your plane but also resets your score multiplier. You can manually land by controlling your speed and this will keep your score multiplier.
- Weapons- Cannons, Rockets, and bombs.
- Unlock new game modes by playing the campaign.
- Easy to play.
- Hard to put down.
- Parachute-you can eject at anytime, press B to pull your chute and throw grenades as you control your Descent.
- Plane- press left on the d pad to see plane damage and depending what part is damaged determines what’s knackered so wings mean less control etc.
- Online leaderboards.
- Indicator key-on the pause menu you get an icon breakdown.
- Throttle- If you are feeling more advanced you can control throttle consumption/power with the right stick and run the risk of stalling.
- Take over bases by destroying all enemies present and use it to reload and repair. The enemy can actually take the bases back.
- Three campaign types- Normal, Frontline, and veteran.
- Boss battles.
- Slow progress pace.
- No easy way to just keep playing after game over instead you have to go through all the menu buttons.
- Have to unlock modes.
- Little variety.
- Cannot have multiple campaigns even if different campaigns.
- Missions will repeat.
- Multiplayer is local only.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
It took a while but eventually, I fell in love with Rogue Aces. At first, you think it is just another simple little plane shooter but trying to be a roguelike, Soon you realize it has a really deep rewarding unlock system, Many modes to play, and is so much fun to play. Honestly, the game looks basic and doesn’t seem like it could be anything other than a shooter but it really isn’t and is a game so many people would enjoy so please do check it out, It’s worth adding to your library as the extra multiplayer mode is a ton of fun and works well, the performance is the best yet and this is as the game says, the definitive version and worthy of your time.