Space Otter Charlie Review (Steam)
Adorable characters? Check! Makeshift weapons? Check! Otter dressed in a foam shark suit. Umm. Check? Join Charlie and his ragtag team of sea mammals as they jump, float, and rocket through Otter Space in this Zero-G Puzzle Platformer.
- Cartoon graphics.
- 1.24GB Download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Own in-game achievements complete with pop-ups when unlocked.
- Controller support.
- Graphics-fullscreen and resolution.
- 3 save slots.
- Comic book style cutscenes.
- Action puzzler gameplay.
- You move around in zero gravity, you stick to walls thanks to mag boots, and can use a jetpack to move around freely, a fun fast way to travel is if you slide as you land.
- Clear arrow marker to show where you are jumping.
- Basic tutorial pop-ups.
- Lazer gun-shoot debris and blockages to possibly earn parts for crafting.
- Fast loading times.
- Collectibles-user logs that give more stories and background text.
- Map-shows pickups, markers and objectives.
- Physics at work like holding onto a crate and shooting to move it around.
- Death resets the room.
- Guns and thrusters have a bar that dictates how much you can use them.
- Find secret rooms.
- Build bot-find blueprints, collect materials and create them with these guys that you find in the level.
- Blue orbs-collect these to replenish shields.
- Big boss fights.
- Easy to pick up and play.
- A very chilled laid-back approach to puzzle play.
- World map level select.
- Ship-hub where you can deposit any collected blue spheres, build the bot, and level select.
- Levels will show objective complete percentage, and any resources that can be found.
- Orbital training-repeatable area where you can do Shmup style rooms and earn bonus blueprints.
- No real replay level.
- Multiplayer is local only.
- The movement and aiming takes some getting used to.
- Can feel like a mobile game in terms of length.
- No way to rebind controls.
- Minimal graphic settings.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
Space Otter Charlie is a brilliant action puzzle game. You navigate planets and collect materials so you can craft upgrades and new abilities all whilst controlling your own gravity movement. It’s a bright colorful game with eye-catching cartoon graphics and a fun cast of characters. It’s all very polished and plays really well once you get used to the twin-stick style shooting. You will discover new planets with new challenges and can attack these in multiple ways, what I really liked was just how accessible and fun it all was, finding secret rooms and backtracking for more materials was always a good laugh. Space Otter Charlie is a brilliant little game.