Steam Tactics Review (PlayStation 4)
Welcome aboard your airship, captain! Engage in tactical combats, upgrade your ships and weapons, level up your pilots.
- Cartoon graphics.
- 250.9mb download size.
- Platinum trophy.
- Strategy gameplay.
- Turn-based combat.
- Gameplays out on a grid and the goal is simple, take out your enemy first.
- Simple pointer system and a button to execute moves.
- World map level select.
- Can skip cutscenes.
- Main hub menu-map/cargo/hangar/Bridge.
- Earn EXP and level up your characters and earn a point to put into their stats.
- Hangar-equip and modify your ships.
- Cargo-shows off collected items.
- 3 difficulties on each level, you unlock easily first then the next, and so on.
- Replay levels to get better rewards.
- Fast loading times.
- Clear easy to read icons and when moving you get a marker put down to see where you can move or shoot.
- Damage numbers pop on screen.
- Can upgrade weapons.
- Nice little time waster.
- Easy Platinum trophy.
- Very basic.
- You have to keep replaying levels to unlock higher difficulties and get better loot.
- Slow burner.
- Confusing icons when moving can happen.
- Small text.
- No settings.
- Assigning parts can be confusing as you work out what stiff does and also who has what installed.
- No overall replay value.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 6/106/10
- Accessibility - 7/107/10
- Length - 6/106/10
- Fun Factor - 6/106/10
I’m not entirely sure what Steam Tactics is trying to do here. On one hand, it acts as a deep strategy game with level ups, gear, and formations, but on the other hand, it is so basic and plain in combat that it’s almost like a watered-down strategy game. Either way, it will appeal to different people, for me it was fine for a while as the controls are simplified along with how the load outs and leveling up goes but the core combat is surprisingly boring and flat. I always felt like something was missing, the story did nothing and I wouldn’t be averse to it not being there at all. Yeah sure getting rewards and leveling up is a cool and a good hook but when the game doesn’t tell you what to do or how to do actions, it becomes a whole new level of strategy, the strategy of how to stay calm when the game is falling apart in front of your eyes! But anyway Steam Tactics is a basic strategy game that takes a lighter approach to the genre and is more aimed at younger or new to the genre players as it eases you in gently and never escalates too far.