Tetris Effect Connected Review (Win 10/PC)
A challenge for the mind and a feast for all the senses, TETRIS EFFECT is the perfect excuse to play Tetris again… and again…and again, and again, and again and again and again and again and again and again and…
- Awesome graphics.
- 3.3GB download size.
- 1000 Gamerscore.
- Graphics-fullscreen, resolution, monitor selection, brightness, v-sync, graphics quality preset, rendering scale, texture filtering, shadow quality, anti-aliasing, bloom quality, particle volume, HDR, line clear effects, mino strobes, zone brilliance, and matrix visibility.
- Can rebind controls for both keyboard and the controller.
- Offline mode can be turned on or off.
- Gameplay settings- Next queue (1-4), hold queue, ghost piece display, tetromino colors (customized or traditional), initial rotation, initial hold, adjustable camera, camera zoom, diagonal, language, mouse sensitivity, and matrix bounce.
- Secondary vibration-on/off.
- Tutorials area-the basics, techniques, multiplayer, and controls.
- Three game modes-Journey mode, Effect modes, and Multiplayer.
- Multiplayer has both competitive and co-op.
- Mp-you have a rank that goes up with wins and down with losses and you rank up to go through to higher tiers.
- Absolutely stellar soundtrack taking in many genres and styles.
- The game has its own set of challenges for rewards.
- Effect settings- Set home location, Edit your avatar and menu music and orbit where you go around a globe looking at other players’ avatars.
- Mp has its own game in a way, it has a separate story of such, a map of players and rewards.
- Guardian avatar-used in multiplayer and you can unlock new ones.
- 3 mp match types-ranked, friends and local.
- Four main game modes in mp- connected (3 players in co-op vs an Ai boss), zone battle (1v1 classic Tetris), score attack (1v1 but just scores no line attacks), and classic score attack (1v1 classic so no hard drops/quick locks and holding).
- Connected mode-you face off against 3 bosses in a row, you build up the zone by playing than when it goes to the zone you take it in turns placing pieces and can put them anywhere.
- Theatre mode- Watch levels play out, Interact with controls like fast forward, rewind, autoplay, clear FX, etc.
- Zone- Only available in certain modes, You can build this up by playing and when activated it slows downtime and you make lines, Completed lines goto the bottom then clear once the zone has finished. This grants a bonus score and time.
- Over 25 effects in the game.
- End of level breakdown will give a score, Time, and a rank up to SS.
- Simple to play but hard to master.
- Isn’t set up initially for the analog stick but can be set up manually.
- In the connected game mode, you have to have 3 players or it won’t start.
- Long matchmaking times.
- Some of the styles are hard to play especially the ones that change the tetrominoes.
- Pointless trending board that shows the popular playlists.
- Cannot skip end credits.
- Theatre transitions have a slight black screen pause which breaks the immersion.
- Slow EXP gain.
- Journey mode is short.
- No VR mode makes it less appealing.
- - 9/109/10
- - 9/109/10
- - 9/109/10
- - 9/109/10
- - 10/1010/10
The Tetris game you never knew you needed! On the surface, it is a standard run of the mill Tetris game, Anyone explaining it will make it sound average. It is not until you play it for yourself that it comes to life for it just puts you in a hypnotic trance that consumes hour upon hour. Back to Tetris and it plays just like you remember the modes are varied and a lot of fun, Pick your favorite and chase them scores. The soundtrack excels and changes as you play. It is just such a solid Tetris game. At first, I was bummed out with no online or local mp but then I thought about it and it is not modes I necessarily play that much. Appearance-wise with all the effects and transitions it really does feel like Tetris fooled around with Lumines and then cheated on them with Rez shortly after creating a weird cross breed of entertainment. Whatever the reasoning, Tetris is pure eye candy and mesmerizing.