UnMetal Review (Xbox Series S)
This UnMetal Review takes on a 2D stealth action-adventure that pays homage to the classics with a healthy dose of humor and satire. You play as Jesse Fox, who is definitely NOT an elite commando, under arrest for a crime he didn’t commit and must escape a covert military base using his wits and fists.
UnMetal Review Pros:
- Decent pixel art graphics.
- 730.6MB download size.
- 1000 Gamerscore.
- Action-adventure gameplay.
- Opening and ongoing tutorials.
- Parody of the Metal Gear Solid games.
- Rebind controls.
- Sensitivity slider.
- Achievements are also represented in the game.
- Chapter select. (only shows chapters you have finished)
- EXP can only be earned by incapacitating enemies without being seen.
- When you level up you choose one of two upgrades each time.
- Radio system like in Metal Gear to call people on the 3 available channels.
- Stealth element to the gameplay.
- Combine items to make new ones from the inventory screen.
- A lot of Easter eggs and nods to not only Metal Gear Solid but other popular game series.
- Big boss encounters.
- Save at a toilet and quicksave with a bedpan, can only be done once until you get to a toilet and empty it.
- The story is told like a Flashback and you can choose scenarios and information about a scene.
- Humor throughout.
- Has puzzles within the game.
- Break boxes to find materials.
- A lot of weird items like wearing sunglasses makes the game dark, putting a digital watch on will show the time, and other crazy things.
- Simple enough controls.
- One life then it’s back to the last checkpoint.
- Fantastic-looking locations.
UnMetal Review Cons:
- No Invert axis option.
- The whole parody part does wear itself out.
- Can be hard to make out where to go or what to do.
- Boss fights are all the same type of deal and feel a bit unsatisfactory.
- Don’t have as many options or actions as you think.
- No replay value.
Related Post: Hot Wheels Unleashed Review (Xbox Series S)
Developer: Unepic Fran
Publisher: Versus Evil
Store Links –
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 8/108/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
UnMetal is a parody of the Metal Gear Solid franchise so it has a lot of material to work with. UnMetal plays out as an action game with stealth mechanics with a lot of puzzles and boss fights, what I really like was the exp system for you only get exp if you stealth kill enemies and that is such a move away from the norm that it is really good. I did like all the nods and blatant rip-offs of the Metal Gear games all though it did wear itself out for me personally. Boss fights were not a strong part but fortunately, they were not too taxing so it was over before it started. UnMetal does shine as a game that does parody well and shows how you can balance the line between copying and innovation. I would replay chunks of the game so I could maximize levels and try and sniff out all the secrets. Whilst you don’t get much in the way of guidance or puzzle help it does eventually click for you. UnMetal is a game you would recommend to people who don’t particularly like playing Metal Gear but do have an interest. I urge you to try UnMetal because it will surprise you.