Unrailed! Review (Steam)
Unrailed! is a co-op multiplayer game where you have to work together with your friends to build a train track across endless procedurally generated worlds. Master random encounters with its inhabitants, upgrade your train, and keep it from derailing.
- Voxel graphics.
- 434mb download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Controller support.
- Remote play together support.
- Graphics-fullscreen, graphics preset, and resolution.
- Cool main menu bit where you walk over the menu options with your character.
- Change character appearance randomly by pressing a button.
- Has its own in-game achievements.
- High score online leaderboards.
- Progress menu-record of unlocks.
- Starting tutorials.
- The game supports two networks modes-local or online.
- Roguelike building survival gameplay.
- Gameplay-you picks up tools and break down trees and rocks and the like for materials then put them in the train cart that crafts them into track pieces, you need to keep the train moving by constantly building tracks. The train can catch fire and you must put it out with water and a bucket.
- Emoji wheel for fast communication.
- Crafting and harvesting materials is done automatically. You just stand close to it.
- Online settings-random matchmaking, create private or join private lobbies.
- Four games modes-endless, quick, sandbox, and versus.
- Two-player local play support.
- Four difficulties-easy, normal, hard, and extreme.
- Seed-you can put a code in manually.
- Enable checkpoints-on/off.
- Fast loading times.
- Levels are randomized.
- Single player-you can give orders or lay a patch you want an Ai bot to do.
- Day/night cycle with weather.
- In-game timer.
- Accessibility options-Colourblind and motion sickness settings.
- A lot of fun.
- Best played with other players.
- A cool twist on the genre.
- Missions will pop as you play.
- Endless replayability.
- Can upgrade your train and wagons.
- The menu Gimmick whereby you walk over options does wear thin and you have no way to control the menus otherwise.
- No camera control or settings.
- Can be hard to see what’s going on.
- Bare minimum graphic settings.
- Only one control layout.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessibility - 8/108/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 8/108/10
Unrailed! Is a brilliantly clever game whereby you need to craft and claim materials to build train tracks in order to keep your train moving. It sounds so simple but is far from it as it pours extreme stress and anxiety into the mix, the gameplay is simple but the game is solid fun. It had online and offline support which is handy as the game is best played with others but that said, in solo, you do get an Ai bot you can give commands to. I just loved how the game looked and played that I lost a ton of time to it all. I personally would have loved a camera button or stick as my old eyes did struggle at times to make things out as the default (and only) view is quite a way off. It uses a seed generation system so you can share and find unique biomes, give tips to each other or compete against others, and show it off on the leaderboards. It all makes for an enjoyable experience and I did have a lot of fun but when the other players leave and it’s just you, or the train crashes into the river again, you kinda lose steam and want a bit more variation and danger. Overall Unrailed! Tried something new and it worked but now we need more!