We Are The Caretakers Preview (Steam Early Access)
Our We Are The Caretakers Preview sees us take on this sci-fi turn-based squad management RPG. Assemble arcane teams of protectors to defend our planet and the endangered wildlife you rely on. Unite the world against an extraterrestrial threat.
We Are The Caretakers Preview Pros:
- Decent graphics.
- 5.56GB Download size.
- Steam achievements.
- Full controller support.
- Graphics – full screen, resolution, graphics preset, bloom, depth of field, and windowed.
- Developer console option.
- Two modes – story and survival.
- Tutorial Prologue.
- The story has 3 Eras at the moment.
- Four save slots.
- Two character model choices.
- Brilliant soundtrack.
- Pop-ups do a show and talk about the controller if you are using one.
- Action strategy gameplay.
- Combat is turn-based and takes place in more intimate surroundings.
- Boss encounters.
- Objectives and bonus optional objectives are shown on the screen.
- Lower an enemy’s stamina to deal with finishing moves.
- Atrium – located in your HQ and here you deal with visitors and any captured poachers. You can detain and recruit.
- Team manager where you can swap characters in and out.
- You play as the Conductor.
- Reputation – this goes up and down and is used as a currency in that your actions dictate what it does and how it goes.
- Reputation is what you earn in-game and is used to unlock new abilities and buffs in the expansive technology tree.
- World map level select showing objectives, any information, and the mission length.
- Choose your own adventure style levels for story and character building.
- The area and map are dark until you have scouted it and moved in.
- Controls are not that bad and relatively easy to pick up and learn.
- Day/night cycle.
- Missions are generally timed.
- Can automate the combat with the auto-combat option which makes it a bit easier.
- Collect artifacts in the world.
- Your goal is to enter an area and find the poachers, you can kill them or detain them and decide their fate back at HQ.
- Little activity feed on the side tells the story of what is going on around and with you.
- Two game speeds you can flick between.
- Every character you recruit is different from stats to abilities and even the class they are.
- When dealing with detainees you can bribe, be bribed, recruit them or send them to the judges!
- 10 percent of every game sold goes to charity!
- An excellent idea on conservation and helping the animals and environment.
- Survival mode is a procedurally generated mode that is endless.
- Upgrade your HQ and add new buildings for new units, tech trees, and more.
- Can have a half dozen or so squads of people to command in one area.
- Has a lot of cool styles.
- Combat is not just a case of dealing damage to a health bar, instead, you use tactics to lower stamina, make them weak-minded or have them susceptible to other dangers or attack each other. Course your team can do the same!
- Mashes a lot of genres together effortlessly.
We Are The Caretakers Preview Cons:
- Minimal graphic settings.
- Menus still need work with a controller.
- No way to set up or tweak the controller.
- Cannot rebind controls for any device.
- Really not that good at introducing new players.
- HQ is messy and the team management system is a nightmare to untangle.
- Small text.
- The music whilst excellent, doesn’t fit the mood of the game.
- No voicework.
- Combat and in particular the auto-combat can go on for a long time.
- The menu structure is just clunky.
- It never feels like you know anything and is the last to hear about anything.
- Performance hitches especially when entering combat or leaving it.
- Never seems to save the speed setting.
- No real story or outline as to what in the hell is going on half the time.
- Areas are big but kind of empty.
- Hard to gauge the time.
- Team/Squad management in an area is still painful, especially with the controller.
- No difficulty settings so it’s very up and down.
Related Post: Dice Legacy Preview (Steam)
We Are The Caretakers:
Developer: Heart Shaped Games
Publisher: Heart Shaped Games
Store Links –