Review: Bubsy: The Woolies Strike Back (Steam)
Watch Bubsy glide like a bat, jump like a jackrabbit, bounce like a red rubber ball and run…run Bubsy run. This is the Bubsy adventure you were born to play.
- Ok graphics.
- 2011 MB Download size.
- Optional tutorial level.
- Steam achievements.
- Controller support.
- 2D platformer set with a 3D backdrop.
- Collect wool to boost your school in the game.
- All levels are timed.
- End of level breakdown.
- Plays like a speedrun collect em up.
- Easy to learn controls.
- Actions- Jump, Pounce, and glide.
- Full of one-liner quips and tongue in cheek callbacks to the previous game.
- Collect jumpers to add a shield and continue to collect them to earn extra lives.
- Boss fights.
- Easy to get into.
- Can replay levels.
- World map level select.
- Keys- Collect these to unlock bonus rooms.
- Old school in play style with one hit kills Water deaths and killing enemies by jumping on their heads.
- Overly sensitive controls.
- Feels like a 90s game with all the bad parts of them in the game.
- Constantly repeating the same lines over and over.
- Simplistic no-frills gameplay.
- Annoying one-hit deaths, Probably more accurate to say inch perfect bullshit deaths.
- Tedious platform sections.
- Little reason to replay.
- Only a dozen or so levels.
- All levels feel the same.
- Unrewarding especially after you spend an eternity to collect wool.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 5/105/10
- Accessability - 7/107/10
- Length - 4/104/10
- Fun Factor - 4/104/10
Bubsy, Synonymous with retro gamers all over the world and a beloved character. What happened to you! I mean I am all for going for a retro feel and that but here it just doesn’t do a good job of capturing any of it except that feeling of why did I bother. It is such a shame. The game just doesn’t feel fun and really doesn’t serve any point. Collect wool and finish the 13 levels as fast as possible, Turns out if you play the game slowly it still wouldn’t take that long to finish. The tedious and bad level design holds back the fun and the needless difficulty spikes and bad checkpoints keep the fun well out of it. I’m sure some will get a decent one and done one-off game sesh from it but for me, it really put me off. In short, its just not great and I don’t get why its a thing.