Review: Hey! PIKMIN (Nintendo 3DS)
Explore an unknown planet in search of precious resources. Call upon the peculiar plant-like creatures known as Pikmin to overcome challenging obstacles, defeat dangerous enemies, and help the shipwrecked Captain Olimar return home.
- Nice graphics.
- 3,231 Blocks download size.
- Three save slots.
- Amiibo support- Unlock special areas, Statues and bonus Sparkium.
- 2D Puzzle platformer gameplay.
- Spotpass support.
- Pikmin park- Houses collected Pikmin and you use them to clear areas of the park to uncover bonuses.
- Controls- Uses face buttons and touch screen.
- World map level select.
- Game screen is displayed across both screens.
- Cutesy cut scenes.
- Big boss battles with some bosses so big they dont fit on the two screens.
- Your goal is to find Sparkium to power your ship and go home.
- Logs- Shows collected treasures.
- Use touchscreen to aim and fire Pikmin.
- Unlock secret spots.
- Fun to play.
- Hidden rooms and routes in the vast levels.
- Easy to get in to.
- Three star level rank based on finding the three main items.
- Tons of replay value.
- Pikmin- Whistle for Pikmin near bushes. Each Pikmin has unique abilities that are needed to solve puzzles or move objects.
- Cheerful soundtrack.
- Gadgets- Unlock abilities like a jump pack.
- Can skip cutscenes.
- Autosaves frequently.
- Tutorial support.
- Can only scan one Amiibo a day.
- No 3D implementation.
- No checkpoints, Die and its a fll level restart.
- Controls take a while to get used to.
- Slow starter.
- Sometimes the dual screen display is detrimental, The hing of the console can obstruct the view.
- Pikmin sometimes dont play ball and go off or dont do as instructed.
- Slowdown occurred a few times for no real reason.
- Feels very basic overall.
- Graphics - 8/108/10
- Sound - 7/107/10
- Accessability - 7/107/10
- Length - 8/108/10
- Fun Factor - 7/107/10
This is my first proper go at a Pikmin game, It is a decent little platformer with some fantastic characters. I just found once you get over the initial appeal and glamour, You get just a very basic platformer with a few nice little touches. Levels never really push you and finding the secrets are very easy as you can see clear indicators of locations. I wanted to like it more but it kept just playing it safe, I look at videos of the 3D Pikmin games and some of the cool features that offers and all that does is compound my inital findings that all though fun, This game lacks any real reason to exist only than a stop gap.