Review: Pixel Gear (PSVR)
Pixel Gear is a colorful 3D pixel shoot-em-up with a variety of humorous cartoon monsters and ghosts as enemies.
- Nice pixel graphics.
- Shooting gallery gameplay.
- 1.28GB download size.
- Uses one move controller.
- Turns your controller into a gun.
- Simple controls.
- Button layout is on loading screens and behind you on a sign.
- Health heart shows on the gun when you get hit.
- Score shown down by your feet.
- Shoot the bonus ghosts for coins, Ammo or health.
- Coins used at the end of a wave to buy ammo, New gun or a random power up.
- Cool power ups like double coin modifier or slow down to name but a few.
- Big massive screen filling bosses. They have a health bar on the top right and have hit markers.
- Available in English or Japanese.
- You can actually aim down the sights of the gun.
- Four guns to buy-Pistol, Sniper, Uzi and a grenade launcher.
- Three worlds to play through taking in a basic green level, Medieval zone and a snow capped ic mountain one.
- You get a special move which is rapid fire shots with slowdown on the enemy movement.
- Bats carry bombs so killing them allows the bomb to drop.
- Combo counter.
- No major movement issues making it a great VR game for people who may get motion sickness.
- End of level breakdown on performance like score, Kills and critical hits.
- Four difficulties from easy to crazy.
- Some of the most accurate solid aiming and shooting on VR.
- Fun to play.
- Very much a pick up and play type of game.
- Boss fights can overstay there welcome.
- No real tutorial.
- Same music on loop in levels.
- Annoying enemy sounds mixed with the gunfire makes it all a bit annoying.
- Stupid cheap last boss.
- Score means nothing due to the lack of leader boards.
- Only a handful of enemy types.
- Slow game play pace until you hit the crazy difficulty.
- You have to unlock the higher difficulty tiers.
- Not much replay ability.
- Sniper has no real purpose as it is too slow.
- You land up just using the pistol as it is the most reliable gun.
- Graphics - 7/107/10
- Sound - 5/105/10
- Accessability - 8/108/10
- Length - 6/106/10
- Fun Factor - 7/107/10
Pixel Gear is a average shooter for PSVR. I mean the aiming and actual gunplay is unmatched at the moment on PSVR. The game scrathches the shooter itch but just doent have enough variety or depth to keep you playing. The lack of leaderboard support is a weird omission, It could of at least triggered a score chasing mentality. As is the game is cheap and cheerful and a great game for kids or people who just want to take it easy.